[GeoForAll-Africa] [OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G Africa

Gildas Jr. Boko eddygordo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:43:26 PDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I'll try to give an answer or point of view on some pending questions

1- As for AARSE, i'm afraid i won't be able to make it to AARSEE this year,
however if people attending are interested in discussing the topic, why
not? as long as we are finding a way to move forward, i'm ok with that

​2- regarding the South(ern) Africa aspect, I believe it is the duty of
each member of the Free and Open Source GIS software to try to be more
present and contribute in his own way to the community. I think that there
are people in SA who are very active in the development of QGIS (for what i
am aware of) and maybe other software. It is kinda normal that they somehow
catch most of the attention

3- On the aspect of the language. Well i don't personally consider it as an
issue. Although it obvious that it will be difficult to organise a
conference only in one language. But then there are translators, thus
implying more costs. But if there should be an african chapter of FOSS4G,
there is definitely a choice to do on the language aspect.
A possibility is to create regional nodes (Mahgreb, Eastern, Central,
Western and southern) with their own specificities and choice of language.
And all thoses nodes will be under the African FOSS4G.

I am very happy to see that the idea received all this consideration. So,
if we all agree it is something that should be done, maybe we should start
trying to put things in place gradually. Like duration, period of the year,
hosting institution (i suggested RECTAS, but it is still a suggestion), etc.

I am still expecting more contribution from participants from the 2008
experience if they are in the list.
Thanks everyone

Gildas Jr