[Ica-osgeo-labs] Idea: GeoForAll Sprint

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Aug 27 06:02:05 PDT 2015

Hi all,

+1 to the idea of education sprints -- although obviously travel costs will
be an issue.

In fact, a quick update to the GeoForAll community, that relates directly
to this 'sprint' idea:

I'm happy to report that the Urban Analytics Thematic led by Patrick Hogan
and Chris Pettit and with the remarkable collaborative energies of others
listed on this page [1] are days away from submitting a grant proposal to
fund GeoForAll collaborative research and education activities around this
theme. One of the proposed activities is to run *collaborative 'writing
sprints'* co-located at the FOSS4G NA conferences (it had to be there and
not global because of travel funding rules).  We felt that by having them
co-located at an annual FOSS4G conference this will help increase the
likelihood people can get to these sprints. *Thanks to the Urban thematic
group working on this effort over the last 7 months - it was a true global
collaboration -- *and we accomplished some of it in a 'grant sprint' at
FOSS4G EU in Como! While we all know the competitive nature of these
things, we -- as a thematic GeoForAll community -- put together a very good
submission. We'll know in roughly 6 months.

*More broadly*: This idea of GeoForAll 'Thematic' groups [2], in my humble
opinion, is hugely important for GeoForAll's future. It allows subsets of
GeoForAll labs and members t*o focus collaboratively on something
substantive*. I see these as analogous to OSGeo projects where there are
subteams working on software. So I hope the other existing thematic groups
[2] will consider following this grant-getting or collaborative content
development model. I also hope that new thematic areas will emerge
organically in our community driven by 2, 3, 4 or more people who share a
common interest and a passion in some area that relates to our broad open
geographical science and education mission. We have one educational
thematic listed already on [2] with a focus on Teacher Training and Schools
[3] -- which is a great step forward.

Without forking too much, we might consider defining, at a finer
collaborative scale, other educational-related thematics to guide these
future writing sprints?

Cheers,
Charlie

[1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics
[2]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoforall_criteria#Thematics:_Subjects.2FLanguage
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_TeacherTraining_SchoolEducation

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'd like to pose an idea to the OSGeo-ICA-ISPRS community: a "GeoForAll
> Sprint" event.  The goal of the event would be to get the OSGeo, and ICA,
> and ISPRS communities together over a few days to work together on
> developing Open curriculum materials.  What do you think??
>
> Those of you familiar with code sprints, know them as getting developers
> from around the world to work together, usually in a big room with good
> wifi, and working on OSGeo software projects.
>
> Now, the GeoForAll Sprint would be a little different, as code may not be
> written for the OSGeo projects, but materials would be developed that could
> be used by the project communities, and educators.
>
> If you choose to do this, there are already steps available if you want to
> request for funding to the OSGeo Board for a sprint (see the steps at
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines).
>
> I wonder if someone in GeoForAll would like to take this on and champion
> it.  If so, it could be a great event for the 3 communities.
>

> -jeff

Charlie Schweik

Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Dept of Environmental Conservation and Center for Public Policy and
Administration

Personal website: http://people.umass.edu/cschweik
Publications: http://works.bepress.com/charles_schweik/

Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545