[Ica-osgeo-labs] Idea: GeoForAll Sprint

Antoni Pérez Navarro aperezn at uoc.edu
Thu Aug 27 07:23:37 PDT 2015

Suchith,

what I was suggesting was making a GeoForAll Sprint as the activities in the GIS Day: every lab makes an activity. This way we can save the money for the displacements.
Nevertheless, I find a wonderful idea using also GIS Day to promote Geo4All.
Sorry for my misswritting.

Charles and people from Urban thematic group: congratulations!

Antoni Pérez Navarro
Estudis d'Informàtica, Multimèdia i Telecomunicació [Responsable de les assignatures de Física i Sistemes d'Informació Geogràfica]
Universitat Oberta de Catalunya

aperezn at uoc.edu
Parc Mediterrani de la Tecnologia (edifici B3)
Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss, 5. 08860 Castelldefels
(Barcelona)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/antonipereznavarro
@tonipereznavarr

Aquest missatge s'adreça exclusivament a qui va destinat i pot contenir informació privilegiada o confidencial i dades de caràcter personal, la difusió de les quals és regulada per la Llei orgànica de protecció de dades i la Llei de serveis de la societat de la informació. Si no sou la persona destinatària indicada (o la responsable de lliurar-lo a qui va destinat), no heu de copiar aquest missatge ni lliurar-lo a tercers per cap concepte. Si heu rebut aquest missatge per error o l'heu aconseguit per altres mitjans, us demanem que ens ho comuniqueu immediatament per aquesta mateixa via i l'elimineu irreversiblement.

Abans d'imprimir aquest missatge electrònic penseu en el medi ambient.

--- Missatge original de Charles Schweik per a Jeff McKenna amb còpia a "ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org" enviat el 27.08.2015 15:02

Hi all,   +1 to the idea of education sprints -- although obviously travel costs will be an issue.    In fact, a quick update to the GeoForAll community, that relates directly to this 'sprint' idea:    I'm happy to report that the Urban Analytics Thematic led by Patrick Hogan and Chris Pettit and with the remarkable collaborative energies of others listed on this page [1] are days away from submitting a grant proposal to fund GeoForAll collaborative research and education activities around this theme. One of the proposed activities is to run collaborative 'writing sprints' co-located at the FOSS4G NA conferences (it had to be there and not global because of travel funding rules).  We felt that by having them co-located at an annual FOSS4G conference this will help increase the likelihood people can get to these sprints. Thanks to the Urban thematic group working on this effort over the last 7 months - it was a true global collaboration -- and we accomplished some of it in a 'grant sprint' at FOSS4G EU in Como! While we all know the competitive nature of these things, we -- as a thematic GeoForAll community -- put together a very good submission. We'll know in roughly 6 months.    More broadly: This idea of GeoForAll 'Thematic' groups [2], in my humble opinion, is hugely important for GeoForAll's future. It allows subsets of GeoForAll labs and members to focus collaboratively on something substantive. I see these as analogous to OSGeo projects where there are subteams working on software. So I hope the other existing thematic groups [2] will consider following this grant-getting or collaborative content development model. I also hope that new thematic areas will emerge organically in our community driven by 2, 3, 4 or more people who share a common interest and a passion in some area that relates to our broad open geographical science and education mission. We have one educational thematic listed already on [2] with a focus on Teacher Training and Schools [3] -- which is a great step forward.    Without forking too much, we might consider defining, at a finer collaborative scale, other educational-related thematics to guide these future writing sprints?    Cheers, Charlie   [1] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_UrbanScience_CityAnalytics [2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geoforall_criteria#Thematics:_Subjects.2FLanguage [3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_TeacherTraining_SchoolEducation