[Geo4All] Working with the Open Data Institute

Tomas du Chemin Holderness tomas at uow.edu.au
Wed Apr 6 23:11:02 PDT 2016

Dear Colleagues,

It is with great excitement that I can announce that our OSGeo Lab, here in Wollongong, has been awarded a small grant by the Open Data Institute in London. The award will help us produce a short video explaining our work in Jakarta to produce an open flood map (petajakarta.org<http://petajakarta.org>). In brief, our map uses open source geospatial software with social media, citizen journalism, government flood alerts and river gauge data to map flooding in real time. The map has around 100,000 users during the annual monsoon and is used by the Jakarta Emergency Management Agency as their primary geospatial tool for flood response.

The idea behind the video is to showcase the role of open data and open source software to build transparency and trust between all stakeholders - hopefully prompting other cities to work towards similar initiatives. Cleary, the GeoForAll initiative and the ODI have somewhat related agendas, and I look forward to reporting back to you all on the progress of this part of our work.

Official announcement here: http://theodi.org/news/the-odi-announces-winning-odi-showcase-projects-out-for-the-count-and-petajakartaorg
Brief Q+A about the project: http://theodi.org/news/odi-showcase-2016-peta-jakarta

Best,

Tomas

Dr Tomas Holderness CGeog FRGS

Geomatics Research Fellow

Open Source Geospatial Laboratory
SMART Infrastructure Facility
University of Wollongong NSW 2522

T +61 2 4221 4140 (AU)
M +62 812 1303 9261 (ID)
W smart.uow.edu.au<http://smart.uow.edu.au>
B tomholderness.wordpress.com<http://tomholderness.wordpress.com>
Tw @iholderness

[cid:DD7082CF-BE58-4165-A7FF-1DDEE6B0B11E at ad.uow.edu.au]

Notice: This email is intended for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please delete it and notify the sender.