[Geo4All] Research collaborations in Tangible Landscape ideas

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at ncsu.edu
Mon Apr 25 13:15:33 PDT 2016

Suchith,

thank you for kind words about our work - I will be happy to do the webinar
about Tangible Landscape with my team sometimes after FOSS4GNA - perhaps in
June.

Here is a brief update: We are preparing a workshop on how to  develop
applications for Tangible Landscape to be presented at FOSS4GNA - the
material will be available on wiki - we will post the link after the
conference.
Also, we are setting up Open Science Framework for project management for
Tangible Landscape - we will post the link when it is ready.
There will be a wiki where we would like to invite others to share
their developments and ideas - we are very excited to see the interest
that TL is generating.

Helena

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 1:35 PM, Suchith Anand <
Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:

> May i also take this opportunity to congratulate Helena and colleagues at  North
> Carolina State University (NCSU) who have also published *groundbreaking *new book
> on the Tangible Landscape , an innovative tangible
> geospatial modelling system powered by GRASS GIS.
>
> This first-of-its-kind book provides an overview of tangible interfaces,
> describes the design and implementation of Tangible Landscape, discusses
> methods of digital fabrication, and demonstrates applications including
> landscape management, trail planning, wildfire management, and coastal
> adaptation
>

> It covers all key areas
>

>    - Building Physical 3D Models
>    - Basic Landscape Analysis
>    - Surface Water Flow and Soil Erosion Modeling
>    - Viewshed Analysis
>    - Trail Planning
>    - Solar Radiation Dynamics
>    - Wildfire Spread Simulation
>    - Coastal Modeling
>

> Details at
> https://cnr.ncsu.edu/geospatial/first-of-its-kind-book-on-tangible-modeling-with-open-source-gis-published-by-center-researchers/
>

> This will be provide an excellent framework for future research
> idea/collaborations in Tangible Landscapes for both teaching and research
> in the various domains. It will be good to get all interested to join ideas.
>
> Helena - may i request that you give a Geo4All webinar on this topic
> please as it is of wider interest. Thanks.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Suchith
>
> ------------------------------

Helena Mitasova
Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208