[Geo4All] Open Source Python Developer for UCL's Extreme Citizen Science Group

Ellul, Claire c.ellul at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 19 11:38:45 PDT 2016

Dear all

** Apologies for Cross Posting ... we'd be grateful if you could circulate this as widely as possible around your networks **

The Extreme Citizen Science research group was formed in 2011 by Prof. Muki Haklay, Dr. Jerome Lewis, and Dr. Claire Ellul as an interdisciplinary initiative to push the boundaries of how we use and understand the world around us. The various projects that they are involved in have this common thread, and as such, are being brought together under one goal and one initiative to share resources and knowledge.  We are now looking for an experienced and talented programmer with interest in open source geographic web technologies, to form part of our team and work on projects including WeGovNow!' (an H2020 project which aims to overcome the current limitations of existing digital tools for citizen reporting, e-participation, and communication between the citizen and the government see here: http://tinyurl.com/hnncnud). The primary role of the Developer will be to maintain and extend our existing GeoKey data repository and API (which is built around PostgreSQL/PostGIS, python and Django) to enable it to plug into software including social media and other platforms, as well as add additional extensions as required by the ExCiteS group. Initially, the developer will focus on maintaining and extending GeoKey (http://geokey.org.uk/) to link to social networks such as Facebook and Twitter, as well as to a range of authentication mechanisms.

You will need to have experience working as a database and back-end web developer, ideally within standards-based projects and using open-source technologies, and in particular experience with Python.
You can find further details here:  http://tinyurl.com/hzjmcvs

Many thanks

Claire

Dr Claire Ellul
Reader in Geographical Information Science

Why not sign up for our GIS Careers event on the 7th March 2016:  http://tinyurl.com/uclagigis

See our list of GIS research and industrial seminars here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/gis/seminars

Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering
University College London
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT UK

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7679 4118