[Geo4All] Vision for an OSGeo education program

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 12:55:50 PDT 2016

Bridget, Tom, Randal, Charles, others tapped into the teaching profession,

If you had access to scores of people to help build everything required
to create a GIS training program, what would it look like? What is the
gap between material you have access to today, and what you would like
to have? What base material (if any) should we start from?

Is it possible to create training material which is targeted, but also
useful for an international audience? (So that it can be used and
maintained by an international user base)

Do you have accesses to teachers who are prepared to take this material
into the classroom, and are prepared to help refine material based on
their experience?

If we can have a clear definition of what we need to create, and have
teachers offering their commitment to take what is created into the
classroom, then we have a very compelling motivational reason for people
to get involved. (Defining a very tangible and realisable goal, along
with steps to reach it, is key to a successful open source project )

On 31/10/2016 6:50 PM, Bridget Fleming wrote:
> So true. I left the teaching profession three years back, had time to upskill in GIS and now I am back in the classroom.
> Teachers desperately need support. A panel discussion (FOSS4G Boston) to map a way forward will be great.
>
> SAGTA (SA Geography Teachers’ Association) and FOSS4G – S Africa (Gavin Fleming) will be hosting a conference at my new place of work, St John’s College (Johannesburg) 26 to 30 June 2017.
>
> Good work is being done and know that we have teachers using QGIS in very under resources school. Sadly, few know about these pockets of excellence.
>
> Bridget Fleming
> bridget.fleming at stjohnschool.co.za
> +27827757072
> Skype: GeoBridget
>
> On 2016/10/29, 7:50 PM, "GeoForAll on behalf of Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX)" <geoforall-bounces at lists.osgeo.org on behalf of patrick.hogan at nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>      So true, teachers, are our most important profession and the measure of our future. Yet, they are underpaid and overworked. They are in desperate need of help, the fully fledged kind of help that comes ready to go. All the ideas being suggested here are the right ones, but it will be no small effort to build 'OTS' packages for the different grade levels.
>
>      And I am not even sure that trying to approach 'mainstream' education is the way to go. We really need to tap into super achievers, inspire and equip them so that they can 'implement' spatial data activities that will help inspire other students in this endeavor to make all of us more aware of the world around us.
>
>      So, building packages, maybe curriculum elements, that are exercises with specific spatial data goals in mind, seems necessary. With the idea that competence with these software tools will allow them to go much further.
>
>      Please realize this is an uphill battle all the way, so finding a teacher or few to work directly with to build these things interactively with actual students, is one thought. In the US, we are happy to spend $30k-%50k per prisoner (private prisons no less) and yet only $10k per K-12 child. And about half those prisoners are there just because they wanted to get high (drugs). Better education will certainly impact the prison population in a positive way.
>
>      The point is, trying to help education which dearly needs it, will be quite difficult due to how overwhelmed teachers already are. 30 years ago I was a High School teacher and conditions have not gotten any better, understated I'm sure.
>
>      I would suggest working at a personal level locally with a teacher and their students, finding what works and then try to scale that. Let actual students' success be our guiding light. They can teach us!
>
>      -Patrick
>       (650) 269-2788 (cell)

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254