[Geo4All] Africa Agriculture, Cartography /Remote Sensing & Optimal Production

Hogan, Patrick (ARC-PX) patrick.hogan at nasa.gov
Sat Nov 25 15:20:30 PST 2017

Charlie,

Assuredly we need to operate on multiple fronts, so as not to ignore the high end (hardware) while servicing the low-end (software). We’ve got to get solutions out there that can serve the masses. It is patently absurd that probably the cost of one bomb, or at most a single fighter jet, would more than cover the cost for every cow, goat and probably chicken, to have and IoT implant. We are probably next, even before the critters.

So meanwhile, back at the proverbial ranch, we’ve got to get el-cheapo solutions operating. And their successful implementation will certainly show what more is possible with additional support.

But I am with you 100%, any pressure we can put on the system to drive prices down, is a beautiful thing indeed!

Weather is going to get more koo-koo as we go on. Providing professional advice to farmers for what is smart to plant given their soil-type, terrain and expected weather, along with guidance on what they are plating now, given the current weather, is something we can do today. We need a team of agriculture, weather and CS majors to come together for that.
Could be a lot of fun, tremendously productive and worthy of UN recognition, if we can pull it off.

-Patrick
(650) 604-5656 (o)
(650) 269-2788 (c)