[Geo4All] Open request for updates on SDG book

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Mon Jul 16 01:54:41 PDT 2018

Dear Suchith,

regarding this "Fake Science" thing. Is this in any way connected to the
book initiative you addressed in the first two paragraphs?

Anyway, I would be quite interested in seeing such a "factory produced
fake science" article? Can you maybe point to an example?

Thanks and best regards,
Christian

Am 14.07.2018 um 16:13 schrieb Suchith Anand:

> Dear Menno-Jan,
>

> It is now over one year and I have not heard any updates on the SDG
> book [1] .As far as I am aware, there was no emails receivedin the
> GeoforAll lists on this till now. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>

> As you are aware, I have personally requested colleaguesin the open
> source Geo community to support the ICA SDG book initiative and they
> have contributed to this book project in good faith, so I request you
> to kindly keep them informed. I thank you for your kind understanding.
>

> We are now seeing a very disturbing trendwith  some vendors even
> starting to trademark “ science” for marketing/sales of theirproducts
> and   “science” is being misused for vendor marketing/sales! . I have
> raised this issue through an open letter [2] . The good newsis that
> now everyone knows it is just marketing/sales gimmicks of vendor .
> Science is not owned by any vendors.
>

> But two weeks back, I received a email query from a respectable and
> senior ICAcolleague that made me very concerned. He is one of the
> editors of a GIS journal . They are receivinglot of submissions  from
> a country  that are very similar-“ poorly written, poor map design –
> to the point that they seem written in a factory” .They were all using
> one proprietary GIS  softwareand deal with some aspect of physical
> geography.He asked for my advice.
>

> I thanked him for sharing this  information and though I do not know
> the background or details of the papers or authors, I am also very
> concerned  to hear about this . It is really sad to see the state of
> affairs in GIS . I requestedhim to take strong action against any
> “factory produced” science and reject them.  I am concerned in the
> rapid increase in“Fake Science” . I  requested him to inform this to
> the wider community through an open letter .
>

> But this is not the solution as if one journal rejects these “factory
> producedscience”, then these kind of papers will  be submitted to
> other journals. I won’t be surprised if in future some vendors even
> start their own journals with their own editorial boards !  What will
> then happen  to the credibility of peer review and scientific quality.
>

> I thinkit is important that editors of all GIS journals and leadership
> of all GIS Professional bodies like ICAdeclare any conflict of
> interest with any vendors (funding/sponsorship/gifts  received from
> any software vendors currently or in the past) to ensure transparency
> and good practices.
>

> I am just a  ICA volunteer . I am hoping that you will take
> principledleadership and action against“Fake Science” , “Factory
> producedscience” and any unethical practices in GIS that is affecting
> Science and Education from any vendors (open or proprietary) .
>

> I thank you for  the work on SDG book and looking forward to hear
> updates.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Suchith

> [...]

Dr. Christian Willmes
AG GIS & Fernerkundung      | GIS & RS Group
Geographisches Institut     | Institute of Geography
Universität zu Köln         | University of Cologne
Tel.: +49 (0)221 470 6234
http://www.geographie.uni-koeln.de/14126.html
http://www.sfb806.de
http://crc806db.uni-koeln.de