[Geo4All] Proposed OSGeo stack beginner workshop, based on OSGeo-Live, presented at FOSS4G

S Kolo kolomes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 15:31:20 PDT 2018

Bob,

Good point ! I don’t think it’s out the the realms of possibility. A
project approach has some advantages, especially if there are some generic
principals that can be used in various components. Graphically thinking -
perhaps something like a decision tree with parallel branches representing
the alternatives (as a start). Effectively the “custom” approach of cherry
picking from parts of the stack is what we’ve been doing for years. Of
course I am more au fait with particular components (we all have our
favourites) but I have no problem slotting in other options.
I think we need to be a bit cautious however on how we approach and present
it as a whole. The sheer number of potential combinations and permutations
to arrive at a solution does make presenting it a bit more
daunting/intricate/complicated and potentially confusing for the newer
users. At the end of the day focusing on smaller digestible chunks and
allowing users to go away with a feeling that they’ve actually learnt
something they can apply is what I really want to endeavour to achieve.
In FOSS4G (and OSS in general) the problem isn’t whether something exists
to deliver it (because we know something probably does), it’s about when,
how and why do we make the decision to go for which bits of the OSS stack.
What are the requirements, pitfalls, investments, returns etc Given the
investment/return of some components (eg running a Spatial database) what
is the tipping point when you actually should consider investing in them?
The sorts of questions vary depending on the client - individuals, small
business, researchers, state/local/fed Govt, as does the motivation.

I’m not sure where this will lead, but I’m keen to hear what people think
about what has been perhaps missing or not covered very well in terms of
the tools and the whole stack in general ?

Cheers,
Shaun