[Geo4All] GeoForAll workshop on basic GIS at IASC 2019

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Thu Jun 20 05:52:47 PDT 2019

Hi Suchith, GoeForAll colleagues,

I think we might have two options here (and perhaps do both?):

1) *GeoForAll labs propose local training events for that week in their
local communities*

Maybe consider as a network would be to have a number of GeoForAll nodes
all sign up to do some kind of training or promotional event at their lab
during the week of October 6-12, 2019 -- promoting OSGeo-related products
in their local communities.

2)* A coordinated web-based "miniconference" across GeoForAll labs on some
half day during the week of Oct 6-12, 2019?*

As an example: In last year's World Commons Week, an international group
led by Professor Tim Randhir led a web-based "mini-conference" where, using
Zoom, Tim coordinated webinars where each global participant presented some
of their work.

What could potentially be done, under this WCW 2019 banner, would be a
similar half-day event where a set of GeoForAll labs present via Zoom or
perhaps Rafael Moreno's webinar platform about what their lab is doing
related to OSGeo-related research and education. If, for example, *5 or so
GeoForAll labs stepped up to do a 30 minute presentation to report some
activity that might be of interest to the community, and we run these
back-to-back-to-back, it would be a GeoForAll community web miniconference*.
All participating labs could encourage their people to attend and we'd have
5-10 coordinated local events from the GeoForAll network. I think this
would be a way to highlight GeoForAll and OSGeo to a community of possible
users (typical commons research and practice involve people who study
forests, fisheries, rivers, and other natural resources that have
geospatial properties).

Reactions? I wonder if 5 or more labs would be willing to give 30 minute
webinars that week about activities they are doing in some coordinated
webinar sometime during the week of Oct 6-12?

Just brainstorming. Thanks for your interest!

Cheers
Charlie