[geojquery] BOF @ FOSSGIS "GeoJQuery"

adams adams at terrestris.de
Tue Mar 9 13:40:41 EST 2010

Eric, @all,

our main idea was first to focus on what you presented as your first
idea -  one of our core ideas on the bof were, to go close to JQuery and
to use OpenLayers as ONE (and the first) mapping component and to make
integration of maps in JQuery style fast and easy, so that users do not
have to write the OL code for integrating a projection a layer and so on.

What wqe think should be possible is to extent that later to any other
mapping library, so we have just one dependency - to JQuery.

I think your second idea is what I personnally also want to go for...
sometomes. Using extended nice JQuery features like a tree or whatever
to extend OL (or any other integrated mapping lib) to what OL does not
have. I think we can do the first (because its easier to start with) and
should always focus ion the second, which means for me, we should at
every time be able to do the second.

I think the main focus should not to "rebuilt" or "clone" GeoExt in
JQuery - therefore both libs are too different, but the easy use of nice
features from JQuery as add-ons later is absolutely what I am interested in.

I hope that makes things clearer on what we thought - but still...and to
stress that again: This is just a pool of ideas, so please everybody
correct and comment on everything! Please also join the WIKI at
www.geojquery.org.

The core idea is first to create a kind of community and to get all
people interested in JQueryx and OpenLayers on board. It seems, that we
are on a good way... a lot of interest till know... so we should
definetely go on with the next BOF in Barcelona.

Regards, Till