[geojquery] BOF @ FOSSGIS "GeoJQuery"

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com
Thu Mar 11 02:19:58 EST 2010

On Tuesday, March 9, 2010, Marc Jansen <jansen at terrestris.de> wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> I strongly favor the first option you mentioned. I'd guess that there are millions of jQuery developers out there that can be dragged into the GIS-scene by providing a very (!) easy interface to OpenLayers.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to register click events for features like this (syntax --of course -- likely to change):
>
> $( '#mymap' ).bind( 'featureclick', function( feature ) {
>  alert( 'You clicked ' + feature.id );
> });
>
> regardless of where (in terms of layers) the features are?
>
> How would you like
>
> $( '#mymap' ).read( 'http://example.com/any/format/openlayers/can/read/service.cgi', function( serviceType, data ) {
>  // this one would read GML, WFS, WKT, whatever
>  $( this ).addData( data );
> });
>
> And think about chaining:
>
> $( '#mymap' ).findFeatures({type: 'mainroad'}).bind( 'mouseover', function( feature ) {
>  $( '#showinfo' ).value( 'The mouse is currently over ' + feature.id);
> }).bind('mouseout', function() {
>  $( '#showinfo' ).value( '' );
> })
>
> and so on, and so on...

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes Marc, it looks nice. Yet I think covering the entire OpenLayers
API and keeping up with OpenLayers versions could become difficult.
But covering a subset of the OpenLayers API, while still allowing
direct access to the OpenLayers classes and objects, makes sense to
me. And, as I said previously, building RIA-type components, based on
jQuery UI and other UI plugins, makes also lots of sense to me.

Cheers,

--
Eric Lemoine

Camptocamp France SAS