[geomoose-psc] support page location

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 10:09:06 PDT 2015

On 03/11/2015 11:44 AM, Eli Adam wrote:
> Wow, those are great Jim!  Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, as long as we are on the topic of docs, I put these up on the
>> github wiki as I was running through GeoMoose installs.  They should
>> probably be reviewed and then moved into the 2.7 docs.
>>
>> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Debian-Wheezy,-Ubuntu-12.04-and-similar
>>
>> https://github.com/geomoose/geomoose/wiki/Quick-and-dirty-install-of-GeoMoose-from-source-on-Fedora-21
> Our current stuff, is perhaps a little dated in that age of modern GIS
> repos.  http://docs.geomoose.org/2.7/docs/install_unix.html
>
> We might want to also show use of our released tarballs.
It is basically the same as the "from git" version but you can skip most
of the steps.
 * Don't need install GeoMoose Build Deps (unless you want to change the
code later, and if you do you would be better served starting from git
and using a local branch)
 * Get the GeoMoose Source becomes download/extract the tarball
 * Skip Setup Symbolic Links
 * Skip Build JavaScript Code
 * Skip Build the Docs
 * Setup local config files may need paths changed to match where the
tarball was extracted.
 * Skip Build the API Reference Docs
 * Make things available in apache document root may need paths changed
to match where the tarball was extracted.

Personally, I find it's much nicer to clone from git, make a local
branch for local data or code changes, then pull updates into master and
merge them into the local branch than try to figure out how to move
customizations forward between tarball releases.  (Actually, I tend to
just clone geomoose-js and maybe geomoose-services in production
installs.  Merging the demo (geomoose/geomoose) with local data is
rarely useful to me.)