[geomoose-psc] Google Geocoder

Dan Little theduckylittle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 03:03:19 PDT 2016

Hey Folks,

geocoder.us appears to be defunct. The website doesn't load and there
certainly does not appear to be any geocodes being returned.  This was
our default geocoder.

The other geocoder with which we have code is the Google Geocoder.
I'm fixing it up right now to work (it wasn't) and to also include an
appropriate credit/disclaimer.  However, I'm a bit worried as we are
probably running afoul the Google TOS.  I see a few options:

1. Run with it. We're a very small fish in a very large pond.
2. Do not include a Geocoder by default but provide instructions for
adding back in the Google geocoder (including setting an API key).
This runs ... "less" afoul the TOS depending on how you read them.
3. Remove all the geocoders.  They're all broken.  Folks may not like
to see the code disappear.

Long term (and I will file a ticket to this regard) we should probably
write our own Geocoder instructions or write a crappy
DIY/off-the-shelf-libs geocoder that works with the default parcel
data.

Cheers,

-Duck

Reference tickets: