[geomoose-psc] Ubuntu 16.04/PHP MapScript

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 14:05:05 PDT 2016

My take on the options so far:

(a) Take the time to rewrite the services in another language. This is
probably the quickest/cheapest solution.

While I think this is probably the best long term solution because I know we were looking at moving from PHP anyway, my concern is it will likely break customizations and introduce a new set of bugs.

This seems like a fairly large change more appropriate for a 3.0, than a quick 2.9.1.  I suppose we could develop replacements and leave the PHP stuff there for awhile, but it will be challenging to keep feature parity and will also be challenging to not leave people behind that have developed their own PHP or modified the demo PHP services.

To stay on OSGeo Live, this would likely have to get released within the next month or so.

(b) Fix PHP Mapscript for PHP 7.

It would be nice to know if this is a short term blip or a more permanent problem, but I suspect this ship has effectively already sailed.  I doubt that even if Mapscript for PHP 7 was ready today that it would get into Ubuntu 16.04, maybe OSGeo Live via a PPA.

I wonder who else is relying on Mapscript PHP?

(c) Stay PHP but find a way around Mapscript.

Dan says not viable -- and I know the last time I needed to parse a mapfile, I ended up writing a C++ tool that linked against libmapserver rather than writing my own parser so I could use the parser and object model from MapServer.