[geomoose-psc] Thoughts on a JSON mapbook?

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 08:26:12 PDT 2020

It should be possible and was discussed around 3.0 planning time.  The
mapbook loader is separate from the internal representation in 3.x.  IIRC,
a mapbook isn't needed at all in 3.x.  You can make the API calls to set
everything up directly from your app.js, the mapbook is more of a
shortcut.

In GeoMoose 3, app.js (or equivalent) is yours.  We provide the examples to
help people get started and to have something concrete to test.

In general, GeoMoose 3 is much more of a library than GeoMoose 2.9 was.
The example applications are setup to make users transitioning from
GeoMoose 2.9 comfortable, not as the only way things can be done.
(Although saying that, in practice the example apps are all that is
regularly tested as part of the CI and release process).

My concern is solely about having the human resources to maintain and test
two formats as I don't think we can drop the XML mapbook without causing
massive user pain.  (I say this knowing how many times as is that we've
missed updating/fixing something in the mobile example that was fixed in
the desktop example).

Personally, the mapbook format doesn't matter much because once the mapbook
gets to a complexity where I am worried about editing difficulty, I end up
generating it from a web service anyway.  This lets you do things like have
an online form for adding layers or have different mapbooks for different
users (based on ACLs for layers).  I also have equivalent GeoMoose 2.9 and
GeoMoose 3 mapbooks being generated from the same database this way.