[geomoose-psc] Freenode, GeoMoose, future PSC Meetings

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Thu May 20 06:42:16 PDT 2021

Slack has limitations unless we get a paid plan.  (Only keeps a limited
history is one IIRC).

I use slack at work.  It's ok, but it's easy to loose threads if there is a
lot of activity across multiple channels/threads.  And while it has search
capabilities, it isn't real easy to find past discussions amongst the
noise.  I also
haven't figured out how to connect to it for other projects without messing
up the work connection.

The immediacy of slack is nice but I still prefer how email (Thunderbird or
the like.  Outlook and the gmail web UI are abominations) handles threads
and read/unread/marking of important messages.  Especially in the case
where it is something I will need to come back to later.  (And I know about
slack reminders and saved items, and they sort of work but mostly just add
to the mess).

I believe that other OSGEO projects have IRC logging enabled somehow if
that is the main concern.

I feel IRC is technically more inclusive, but probably less familiar than
the locked down proprietary stuff like slack that seems to be all the rage
these days.  And there are plenty of web-IRC bridges now so having a client
program and ports unblocked isn't a limitation anymore.

Jitsi is a completely different thing than IRC/Slack.  It can record, but
it is more meant for live meetings and presentations (like Zoom/Google
Meet/WebEx) than as a chat space.  Jitsi vs IRC is more a question of how
do we want to hold meetings than where.

Anyway, just my 2c.