[geomoose-psc] Matrix room setup (and bridge to IRC room)

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Jul 19 04:04:47 PDT 2024

Update: it seems because I created the room yesterday, the log setup was
delayed, as the logs work nicely now (meaning: our IRC meetings will
also have a log)  see https://view.matrix.org/alias/%23geomoose:osgeo.org

-jeff

On 2024-07-18 6:56 p.m., Jeff McKenna via geomoose-psc wrote:
> Correction: it seems to depend on the Matrix app that you choose (the
> app "Element" has voice, video, etc.)  I think a lot of these apps use
> Jitsi in the backend.
>

> -jeff
>

> On 2024-07-18 6:13 p.m., Jeff McKenna via geomoose-psc wrote:
>> Matrix is a text-based chat system, similar to IRC, but with more
>> support/apps (on your phone or desktop, install a client like
>> "Element", and you'll see what I mean, it no longer feels like old IRC).
>>
>> If this adds confusion, we can ignore it (cost was free anyway ha).
>> The GeoMoose rooms on IRC and Matrix are linked now anyway, so
>> conversation is seamless - choose either method you wish.
>>
>> Yes am aware that the log link bounces to a broken link, not sure why
>> yet...anyway until today we had no logs, so, I didn't think this was a
>> show-stopper.
>>

>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2024-07-18 5:35 p.m., Eli Adam wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> What is the purpose of matrix?  Is this to support a visual demo?
>>>
>>> The log link doesn't seem to work for me.
>>>
>>> Best regards, Eli

Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, & offering MapServer Consulting/Dev
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/