[Geomoose-users] [Geomoose-developers]USNG Mouseovercapabilities added to GeoMoose.

Jim Klassen Jim.Klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Apr 14 13:57:37 EDT 2008

One more thing... The spec appears to deal with this, but I haven't figure out what it is trying to say yet.

It does not work near the poles... ( North of 84N and South of 80S)

>>> "Jim Klassen" <Jim.Klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us> 04/14/08 11:59 AM >>>
The best answer is wait a bit. I just sent the initial version of the code to Dan for him to look over and potentially clean up. Also, for completeness I still have to write the conversion from USNG back to lat/lon. (But that wasn't needed for the status bar.)

Requirements for using the code will be that the lat/lon display is already working correctly because it works by taking the lat/lon which is calculated from whatever projection you are using, converting it to the appropriate UTM zone, then converts the UTM coordinates to USNG notation.

This is a bit of an odd coordinate system as far as GeoMoose is concerned because it isn't an Easting,Northing pair of numbers, but instead it is a single alpha numeric string. How this is dealt with internally inside the app will need to be worked out. My guess is instead of being a full fledged "projection" (that could be used as local coordinate system) it will end up being an input/output conversion tool. Internally, GM will probably have to continue to use a local projection or a UTM zone. Also, the code needs be tested in the southern hemisphere.

Additional work will be needed to pass USNG coordinates back and forth with services.

Yet another problem is the USNG spec says the number of digits presented in the coordinate should be representative of the precision of the data... in other words we shouldn't specify down to the meter on a 1:100000 map. This is implemented in the USNG module, but GM is telling the USNG module to use a fixed precision (10m if I remember right).

Jim Klassen
City of Saint Paul

>>> "Jay Kapalczynski" <jkapalczynski at ci.maple-grove.mn.us> 04/14/08 10:51 AM >>>
Looks great...I guess the obvious question everyone is going to
ask...well maybe only me but....
How do we get that in our(my) application?