[Geomoose-users] Geomoose 2 and custom footer data readouts

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Wed Nov 4 11:32:12 EST 2009

Johan,

     Interesting stuff; could be difficult to get good performance though.  And
it will take some coding effort.

     GeoMoose's coordinate readout for projected coordinates works fast because
there is a simple linear (scale and offset) relationship between the current
cursor location in pixels and the projected coordinates (in say feet or meters).
  The readout display of Lat/Lon works fast because the map projection formulas
have been written in JavaScript and get loaded into the browser.  These formulas
do the heavy lifting of converting projected coordinates to Lat/Lon.

Elevation is a different story.   Each value is potentially unique at any
location (there is no formula). And while there are ways on the server to
color-code a raster DEM as an image or contour it as lines, there are no
facilities (that I know of) to display the elevation directly in a web mapping
environment.

Here are a few options:

1. Write an elevation server.
     On a mouse move event, have GeoMoose issue a CGI query with the current
Lat/Lon values.  The CGI service would access the elevation datasets (using
GDAL's API?) and return a little XML with the elevation value.  GeoMoose would
then display the value in the status bar with the other coordinates.  And this
would happen on every mouse move.  Performance could suck, but with using
fast-cgi maybe not.

     I like this option since it could solve my problem of displaying
Township/Range numbers on the fly...

2. Extend GeoMoose to be a WCS client
     Add JavaScript to GeoMoose to get an OGC Web Coverage Service raster (e.g.
a DEM) on every pan and zoom.  GeoMoose would then do the elevation look-up on
the client side on every mouse move (but no need to hit the server).  Likely
much better performance than 1. above, but you'd need to find a WCS server (can
Mapserver do that now?).

In any case, the data management of the DEMs is done on the Elevation/WCS server
and if it is done right it won't matter how may meg/gig/tera bytes you have.

BTW, some other ideas I had on my Township/Range value display: use imagemaps or
a GML polygon layer with attributes, then have GeoMoose display the attribute
value in the status bar.

GeoAnalytic Inc