[Geomoose-users] question on GM1.x html size

Jim Klassen Jim.Klassen at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Thu Oct 21 17:17:03 EDT 2010

Does it slow down the initial visit: Yes.
Does it slow down refreshes: Depends on users browser Cache settings, but probably.
Does it slow down every navigation: Probably not much, unless the user's browser is on the edge of being out of memory.

You'd have to compare w/ and w/o cases to see how much of a slowdown occurs in each case and then make a decision as to if it is worth it or not.  If you are going to have the select list at all, you will need to download the list at some point, so the question becomes is there benefit in delaying the passing of the list to the user's browser.  If most users search by street, I'd guess it makes sense to have it load immediately (vs. the additional overhead and complexity of delaying the download of the list until it is absolutely needed).

>>> "Jim Dahl" <jim.dahl at mail.co.douglas.mn.us> 10/21/10 3:25 PM >>>
I have GM 1.6 and have created search boxes where I have several
thousand options to choose from.  For example, I have a pull down for
every street in the county so one does not have to guess how it is
spelled and enter into the search box.

Does anyone know if this slows down the initial visit to this page or
when it is refreshed, or worse yet if it slows down every navigation
after first visit?  I am not sure.

Thanks,

Jim Dahl, GISP
GIS Coordinator