[Geomoose-users] RFC-2 - GeoMOOSE Project Misison (What is GeoMOOSE)

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Dec 8 16:02:55 EST 2011

All,

I have prepared a draft of RFC 2, http://geomoose.org/trunk/rfc/rfc-2.html

You can get details from reading it.  Here are aspects that I think
are worth highlighting:
-Provides a guiding reference for future GeoMoose decisions.
-Provides clear statements for anyone looking to know more about GeoMoose.
-Formalizes what has already de facto been in place for a long time

I think that we should give this careful thought and deliberation
since it will be used as a reference for future decisions shaping
GeoMoose.

For some minor fine points: I think for instance it should be part of
the mission to build on OSGeo projects where possible.  I don't think
that building on non-OSGeo open source projects where possible should
be part of the mission but more a practicality or convenience.

I think that singling out the City/County/State use case in the RFC is
worthwhile since I think that the GeoMoose project will go to greater
effort for those use cases (i.e. Mailing lists for notices) than
others (i.e feature editor - not a great example but can't think of
better).  Basically, the City/County/State use case is the main use
case so it gets prioritized over others.  Many other use cases fall
within that realm and are thus also well taken care of.  This could
probably be phrased better in the RFC.

On a technical/practical note: the RFC has weak wording in some places
and could use improvements.  I've obviously spent time trying to think
of ways to improve that with little success, perhaps fresh eyes and
perspectives can clean some of that up.  If you can contribute to
that, please do so.

Slightly related (but I think separate) to this is the GeoMoose FAQ.
http://geomoose.org/trunk/docs/faq.html  I see the faq as a dynamic
document that changes over time as needed by anyone with commit
access.  If some aspects of the RFC are not about the core mission of
GeoMoose, then they should probably move there.

Best Regards, Eli