[Geomoose-users] Isolate Water System Valve for Waterline Break

Dan Little danlittle at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 15:02:10 EDT 2011

You're looking at some custom stuff.

But, I'd do something a long these lines:
- Load the data into PostgreSQL (hey, I have no systems restrictions, so I'm going to suggest it how *I'd* do it. :D )
- Read the point as a service, that's easy enough (look at identify.py) as an example.
- Run some SQL to find the nearest line to the point clicked (I'm assuming the data is stored in ground units, like meters...)

select line_id from water_lines where st_distance(geomfromtext($1, water_lines.wkb_geometry )) < 3

- Then use that line_id to find all the attached valves...

select valve_id, wkb_geometry from water_line_valves where line_id = $1

- Or, if I didn't find any ON the line with an ID... this will find all valves within 5 meters (assuming units of meters) of the water line.

select valve_id, valves.wkb_geometry
from water_lines, water_line_valves valves
where st_distance(water_lines.wkb_geometry, valves.wkb_geometry) < 5
and water_line.line_id = $1

Then do some magic to report more info on the valves, and ship down an extent made up of those points.