[Geomoose-users] Git Questions

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 06:14:29 EST 2011

> Given Jody's experience my worries about "the Bridgers" may be without cause.  If we were to take PSC action towards Git then we could skip the SVN migration to OSGeo and place our infrastructure at GitHub.  Trac, or some other form of issues management, could still be hosted at OSgeo as a tentative plan.
I will clarify; your worry for bridgers is with cause - and this concern stopped uDig cold when we first tried in 2009.

The situation has improved a lot since then.

This concern was also behind our decision to move from gitourious to github. The amount of documentation and support (from things like stack exchange) basically forced our hand to use github - due to every example people find when learning git making use of those facilities.

I am not advocating git based on ease of use or anything; mostly viewing the battle as already over. With central projects like Eclipse migrating to git; every developer is stuck learning it this generation.

Jody