[Geomoose-users] Question on Jump To list

Brian Fischer bfischer at houstoneng.com
Mon Aug 20 12:31:02 PDT 2012

The original "jump to" widget was only meant to be used for a short list of values otherwise it makes the XML map book really big and slows things down.  In that case you are better using the query service.

Jim, I agree this would be a nice option.  I think of it as a Find Task (Service) similar to what ESRI has implemented in ArcGIS Server http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserver/10.0/apis/rest/find.html.  Especially if you could make a call to the server after 3 or 4 characters were typed to display possible results.  Just need someone to volunteer to write or fund this type of service :)

The trick would be making this new service idea configurable so a user could define what layers and fields it was to search, then how the results would get returned.  Similar to how the Query service works now.

I think the "Jump To" widget still has its place for short lists of values that just need to be provided to users and is still a simple way to do that.  The other thing I think that could be really useful is a way to populate a drop down from a service.  Here is a way we did things for a County using multiple query services and a custom input type to populate the drop down on load. I know users find it really easy to use.  But a general "Find" service could have worked as well.   http://maps.co.crook.or.us/

This is a common thing ("Zoom to a location based on a map layer feature") and think it would be useful to find a way to make it better in a future release of GeoMoose.

Brian Fischer, CFM
Principal | GIS Project Manager
Houston Engineering, Inc.
O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734