[Geomoose-users] Performance File Geodatabase vs Shapefiles

Brian Fischer bfischer at houstoneng.com
Mon Oct 15 09:15:57 PDT 2012

Ed,
We have been trying to use FGDB as well, but there is definitely decreased performance compared to shapefiles.  Also ran into some file locking problems.  I am hoping this will improve because a lot of organizations are moving towards managing their data in FDGB over shapefile.  The other approach I have been thinking about is getting a good translator to easily push a filegeodatabase into PostGIS.

We have also ran into a few other things like having to use absolute paths in the mapfile, feature classes can't be over a certain length and can't seem to access a standalone table using PHP mapscript.

I would encourage you to file bugs or enhancements suggestions in GDAL or mapserver.  I have been trying to do the same.  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/query?status=%21closed&order=id&desc=1&type=defect and https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/issues

Brian Fischer, CFM
Principal | GIS Project Manager
Houston Engineering, Inc.
O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734