[Geomoose-users] GeoMoose core changes?

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Sep 25 19:25:18 PDT 2012

Jim,

Comments a ways below (but kept complete for context).

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> To: Brian Fischer <bfischer at houstoneng.com>
> Subject: Re: [Geomoose-users] GeoMoose core changes?
>
> Brian,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> My intent is for the visible layers to be built as an extension.  However,
> to do this without breaking the rules, I need some changes in the core that
> expose more functionality to extensions.  The changes I need shouldn't
> impact existing use of the application. Alternatively, it might make some
> sense for it to end up in core because of all the bits it needs to hook
> into.  In either case there is nothing that would require anyone to
> use/enable it.
>
> I don't expect it will be applicable to many sites since defining what
> should be in visible layers (remembering it reflects the stacked z-order as
> rendered) becomes very ugly if you are using the feature that allows one
> catalog layer to be linked to multiple map-source layer (that helps with
> label stacking) as one catalog layer may need to be in 2 or more places.
> This is because it has to operate at the map-source level rather than the
> catalog layer level as this is ultimately what become OpenLayers layers.
> Obviously, such behavior could be very confusing to end users with some
> mapbooks.
>
> Not to confuse things too much, because I think the Visible Layers tab can
> be useful separate from the CSW catalog, but in my current use case I could
> almost see the existing catalog tab as what would be hidden.  As is, we are
> keeping it for now to hold the basemap type layers as the bulk (potentially
> 1000's) of the layers are available from the searchable CSW catalog.
>
> Jim
>
> On Sep 21, 2012, at 22:21, Brian Fischer <bfischer at houstoneng.com> wrote:
>
> HI Jim,
>
> In general these things seem like really nice enhancements to the core.  The
> only things that I was not clear on is if you are proposing the Visible
> Layers tab be in core and the default way GeoMoose would work or if that
> would be the extension?  I personally am not a big fan of 2 tabs with layers
> in it as I think it is awkward for a user to have to switch back and forth
> all the time.  Would these enhancements work on the layers/map-sources in
> the main TOC tab as well?  Like ability to turn on/off layers.  Obviously
> the Up/Down Z-Order stuff would be difficult with groups and nested groups.
>

> One idea is instead of another tab maybe you could put the visible layers in
> a  dojo widget such as a popup dialog that allows users to move layers up
> and down.  Just a thought as another way to get the same functionality but
> without the 2 tabs.
>

> All and all good ideas, just need to clarify the visible tab is in core or
> an extension.
>

> Brian Fischer, CFM
>
> Principal | GIS Project Manager
>
> Houston Engineering, Inc.
>
> O 763.493.4522 | D 763.493.6664 | M 763.229.2734

Adding layers at runtime could be useful for many things.  Can a
dynamic layer adding general function also be
used for a dynamic wfs adding function in select/query or other
capacities?  This could also be lying the groundwork for 'upload a
shapefile' functionality down the road.  However, on the server side,
that would require ogr to detect the projection, writing a map file of
sorts, and other aspects but this could be the beginning.

Best Regards, Eli