[Geomoose-users] Estimating tile size

James Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:07:40 PST 2013

I'd guess is in JPEGs you are looking at ~23GB and about 346GB uncompressed
for all levels.  The top level (most pixels) will be ~2/3 the size of all
of the levels combined.  I've attached a spreadsheet (ODS) that I've worked
up to estimate tile sizes.  (My guess is it will get blocked by the list,
so if anyone is interested email me.)

Which tool you use kind of depends on how you plan on serving it.  Direct
from MapServer has a different optimization strategy than if you are using
MapCache or MapProxy.  I'm not sure how portable the tools I worked on are.
 The one I did at the city was all in C and was essentially a modified
shp2img with the tile calculation added and some extra stuff removed.  What
I am using now is ruby based and relies on PostGIS for indexes and
MapServer for rendering.  The net result is the same though.

The big thing quality wise it to be sure to use -r average (GDAL) or
PROCESSING "RESAMPLE=AVERAGE" (mapserver) so the zoomed out levels aren't
all speckled as happens when using the default nearest neighbor sampling.