[Geomoose-users] WMS not working

Paul Wickman paul at flatrockgeo.com
Wed Jul 3 14:30:57 PDT 2013

Agreed with Jim.  Having GeoMoose re-project "outgoing "vector data is
useful.  All things being equal, all of our GeoMoose setups tend to be
either UTM15N (most common) or Web Mercator (less common but becoming more
useful for us) with MapServer re-projecting source data as needed.

As Jim said, if you want MapServer to work with data that is in county
coordinates you'll need to put the correct parameters in the mapfile
PROJECTION object or add new lines to the epsg file (/usr/share/proj/epsg
on most Linux systems, not sure where it is on Windoze).  If you're working
with data in PostGIS you'll also need to fiddle with the spatial_ref_sys
table.

If you don't want to monkey around with everything described in the
previous paragraph you might just create UTM copies of any county sourced
data.  A bit more data to manage, but less MapServer configuration.

Jim's other point about Web Mercator's fixed zoom levels and printing is
relevant.  For our purposes, most of the printing folks don't required a
even scale.  If that is a requirement for you, then
it's definitively something to consider

612.280.5850 | paul at flatrockgeo.com
www.flatrockgeo.com | twitter.com/flatrockgeo