[Geomoose-users] GeoMoose Community Wiki

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Nov 17 07:31:41 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Dan Little <theduckylittle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't believe anyone is maintaining the wiki.  I've had one request
> for a new user within the last year and I was pretty sure it was a
> spam bot.
>
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Jim Klassen <klassen.js at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello fellow GeoMoose users:
>>
>> While cleaning up some broken links in the documentation, I noticed that
>> we don't have a link to the wiki [1] from the main project page [2].  I
>> am not aware (but could easily have missed) any recent activity in the
>> wiki.  I know we ended up locking down new sign ups a while back because
>> we were getting hammered with spam accounts/posts.  I think this may of
>> had the unfortunate side effect of limiting positive contributions to
>> the wiki.
>>
>> Should there be a link to the wiki up next to
>> Home,Demo,Documentation,Developers,Download on [2]?

I don't think so.  That would be promoting it too much.

>> Is the wiki still in use?

This says very little contribution,
http://www.geomoose.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&days=700&from=&limit=50

>> Is the content in the wiki still relevant?  Most of it appears to be
>> from the 2.0-2.4 era (ca. 2009-2011).

It is of varying relevancy and no one is sorting it.

>> Does the wiki still serve a purpose?

I think there are a few things that people still read from it and is
occasionally referenced from the email list.

http://www.geomoose.org/wiki/index.php/Special:PopularPages

>> Should we migrate from running our own MediaWiki and endorse the use of
>> the wiki provided by GitHub [3]?
>>
>> Is there content in the wiki that needs to be migrated to Sphinx (i.e.
>> made official)?  The one thing I can think of is the history of the PSC
>> meeting minutes (which also hasn't been updated in awhile). [4]

Probably a little should be migrated to official documentation.

One of the nice things about unofficial documentation like the wiki is
that it is a good place to share ideas that might work and be useful
even if they are not great or recommended ideas.  So things we would
not want in official documentation but someone might want to consider
anyway.

It can also be useful for ad hoc organization and coordination.
Oregon did a lot that way and we have some historical documents on
there we would probably want to archive.

Overall, the wiki is getting almost no contribution.  It may still be
getting some reference use of value.  I don't see it as a priority.

Eli