[Geomoose-users] GM3 - Labeling conflicts with multiple map-sources

Christopher Hughes chughes at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Apr 18 08:45:48 PDT 2022

I'm encountering some odd issues when trying to label multiple layers when
they're
in separate map-sources. All the labels work, but when they're in separate
map-sources,
they conflict with each other.

For example, when I set up a single map-source for a basemap like this:

 <map-source name="basemap" type="mapserver">
    <file>basemap.map</file>
    <layer name="city" status="on"/>
    <layer name="town" status="on"/>
    <layer name="rivers" status="on"/>
    <layer name="Contours_(40ft)" status="on"/>
    <layer name="Contours_(10ft)" status="on"/>
    <layer name="Streams" status="on"/>
    <layer name="Streets" status="on"/>
</map-source>

Labels between different layers work seamlessly with each other (label
priority settings
are honored, auto positioning moves them to not overlap, they automatically
disappear
if a non-overlapping position can't be found).

If I break apart this map-source into individual layers (i.e. you have
layers in different mapfiles,
if you want a particular layer at the top of your map, or you want to turn
individual layers on or off),
the labels for these layers can overlap regardless of label priority
settings or auto positioning.
It's not a major problem, but it can make things look very cluttered, and
you have to spend a lot
more time considering how labels from different layers will work with each
other.

Has anyone run into this issue or found a workaround? I'm not sure to what
extent it's a MapServer
problem or a GeoMoose issue.

I appreciate any feedback,

Chris