[Geomoose-users] GM3 - Labeling conflicts with multiple map-sources

Jim Klassen klassen.js at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 13:06:58 PDT 2022

That is expected behavior.

GeoMoose treat separate map-sources as separate entities and will make a separate request for each map-source.  MapServer then doesn't know the other layers were drawn and thus can't do label collision detection between the layers in different map-sources.  All the layers within one map-source are drawn with one request to MapServer and returned in one image.

This is where the feature to include multiple map-source/layers in a catalog layer src="" attribute came from.  So people who really wanted the labels perfect could put all their label drawing into one mapfile at the top of the stack so MapServer could do optimal conflict detection.  There are also major downsides to this regarding being able to treat layers independently which limits GeoMoose functionality (changing z-order, generally incompatible with the visible/active layers tab) and means all layers break (pink screen) if one mapfile breaks.  Depending on your use case this tradeoff can be anywhere from no big deal to a show stopper.  So we support both options (but not both options, well, at the same time).