[GeoNode-devel] Non ISO Metadata Topic Categories and Geonode Behavior

Eduardo Castanho eduardo.castanho at ipma.pt
Tue Dec 29 11:06:46 PST 2015

Hi!! to all

I'm trying to implement multiple Topic Categories in Geonode, so that
the metadata is more according to ISO 19115, as was discussed in this
year code sprint.

But I have a doubt about  the correct  behavior in the upload of
metadata that contains Topic Categories that doesn't  belong to ISO
CodeList.

Currently, Geonode creates a new  category  :

                     elif key == 'topic_category':
                                 value, created =
                TopicCategory.objects*.get_or_create*(
                                     identifier=value.lower(),
                                     defaults={'description': '',
                'gn_description': value})
                                 key = 'category'
                                 defaults[key] = value

@ geonode/geonode/layers/utils.py (line 442)/****/

Is this the expected behavior?
If we have multiple categories imported from metatada files,  the number
of new categories will raise a lot (including spelling errors), can this
be bad ?

with best regards,
Eduardo Castanho

IPMA
Instituto Português do Mar e da Atmosfera
Lisboa Portugal