[GeoNode-devel] GeoNode debian packaging process

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 04:23:18 PST 2017

Hi all,

I have noticed that our current release process is not very flexible in
terms of how our Launchpad releases are handled.
Right now we use "paver release", which automates packaging (good thing)
and publishes both to Pypi and Launchpad.

The issue I see is that Launchpad release should be done separately and
not force us to make a new Pypi release in order to change the debian
package. Also this would help us avoid the awkward package names like
2.4.0~thefinal8 etc...

So I am proposing that we separate the debian packaging  from the paver
command, and provide some documentation on how to manually prepare the
debian package (which IMHO is ok given that we already prepare all our
dependencies manually, including the geoserver packages).
I can work towards this direction if everyone agrees.

Best,
Angelos

--
Angelos Tzotsos, PhD