[GeoNode-users] Implementing GeoNode for University

Florian Hoedt gannebamm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:58:17 PDT 2015

Hello Internet,

We currently use a file-system-based geodata storage which holds several
hundred gb of geodata. We have access to the whole ESRI Suite and use
mainly ArcMap as Desktop GIS and have recently set up an ArcGIS Server to
serve aerial and topografic datasets as WMTS.

I would like to create a geoportal for my university which is (also non
geo) user friendly and able to hold vector data as well as loads of raster
data. Therefore:

1. I have some concerns about Geonode since it "just" supports vector data
(ESRI shp) and GeoTiff, which is not feasable for the loads of aerial data
we have - I do not want to publish single footprints as geotiffs. How could
this be achieved?

2. I also would like to harvest external data sources (CSW) - these should
be displayed in the portal, too. Is geonode capable of that?

3. In addition there are documents to share, too.

Is geonode a wise path to choose? How could I achieve my Feature-List

thanks for your time and thoughts,
Florian Hoedt form Germany, Höxter