[GeoNode-users] Customizing a geonode 2.4 project

John Jediny john.jediny at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:17:44 PDT 2015

If you have any need to customize Geonode (install a 3rd party app or even
modify CSS HTML) you still want to use the Geonode project. As everytime
you update/upgrade Geonode using the ppa or merging/pull git you'll always
have to redo your work or resolve the conflict...

Two things to try for those still having probelms... 1.Remove your
existing installation if it is not within a python virtualenv.. I would
also suggest using virtualenvwrapper if you plan to install multiple 3rd
party apps creating a new wrapper env for each. Virtualenv will avoid new
apps from upgrading/downgrading the Python libraries that other apps or
Geonode depend on... Wrapper allows you to manage multiple virtualenvs
one for each Python app.
2. Make sure you use apache2's new permissions
See halfway through this thread for what I mean -
https://github.com/ckan/ckan/issues/1651. About require all granted...

If neither works open a new terminal and use it watch apache log $ sudo su
$ tail -f /var/log/geonode/apache.log

If your seeing permission denied then you need to use chown and/or chmod
700 for the www-data user and group of whatever file or dir Apache can't
access

--
Cell: 973-931-0580