[GeoNode-users] Errors relating to remote services

Cliff Patterson cliffpatterson at gmail.com
Mon May 9 08:37:26 PDT 2016

Greetings GeoNode users!

Using GeoNode 2.4, I tried to add a remote service but once added, I am
unable to use these layers in GeoExplorer without getting 502 and 505
errors. Except for the changes below, I have made no changes to the
configuration. This is a fresh installation on Ubuntu Server 14.04. Here's
what I did:

1) Add remote service URL in GeoNode using auto-detect selection. To
recreate, this is the URL I used:

http://geo.weather.gc.ca/geomet/?lang=E&service=WMS&request=GetCapabilities

More info about this service can be found here
<https://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=C0D9B3D8-1>

2) Edit local_settings.py file and add PROXY_ALLOWED_HOSTS = ('
geo.weather.gc.ca', )

3) Added the following line to mapfish config.yaml (I assume this is
required)

  - !dnsMatch

    host: geo.weather.gc.ca

3) Increase timeout of Apache server to 600 seconds (I read that this may
contribute to 502 errors)

4) Restart Apache server

Result:

When loading WMS layer in GeoExplorer the layers load perfectly with the
legend. However, when the map first loads and when I try to basically do
anything such as change the opacity or press print, I get this error.

502 BAD GATEWAY
Proxy Error
The proxy server could not handle the request POST /geomet/.

When trying to save a map containing a WMS layer from a remote server
(NOTE: map does not save, only a blank map saves with no layers nor
basemap):

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator at webmaster at localhost to inform
them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just
before this error.

Note that these errors do not occur when using local Geoserver layers.

Thank!

Cliff