[GeoNode-users] Support for Python 3 or SNI (Server Name Indication) when using https

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 09:39:23 PDT 2016

Hi list,

I think I've hit a httplib2 bug that is causing trouble in my GeoNode
Install. I have GeoNode (v2.4.1) running on Ubuntu 14.01. The server is
behind a reverse proxy that has multiple SSL certificates associated with
only one IP address.

The problem is that when I try to upload some data to GeoNode, I get a
certificate mismatch. The returned certificate is the one associated with
the IP address of the reverse proxy and not the certificate my geonode site.

>From what I was told, the ability to resolve multiple SSL certificates from
one address is implemented through SNI (Server Name Indication). And from
this Github issue [2], it appears that Python 2.7 and its httplib2 will not
receive SNI support.

Another thing that makes me believe it's a python2.7+httplib2 specific
problem is that If I try to connect to my site using python2 and httplib2
it fails but, using python3, it works.

So, the questions are:
Is anyone running GeoNode behind a reverse proxy that implements multiple
SSL certificates for one address (SNI)?
Will the next release of geonode use python3?

Cheers
Daniel

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geonode-users/2016-June/001933.html
[2] https://github.com/jcgregorio/httplib2/issues/233