[GeoNode-users] Show Layers on Layer view page (Jose Cáceres)

Toni Schönbuchner toni.schoenbuchner at csgis.de
Sun Mar 31 07:29:13 PDT 2019

Dear Jose,

> To update to Master, Do I need another machine or it can be done on the same server? The problem is I just have the one server to get it done,  and is not particular powerful (2 cores, 4GB memory, 60GB on disk).

I understand your problem with having only one server. For every option I can think of this
guide from Oliver should give you an idea of what to backup first and how:

https://github.com/olivierdalang/SPCgeonode#how-to-migrate-from-an-existing-standard-geonode-install

# # # # # # # # #

A) Backup -> test locally -> reset your VM ->  import / migrate all data live again

This might be one of the cleanest but also work intense solutions.

    - Backup your live data
    - Test the installation/migration locally (you could use vagrant for spinning an Ubuntu instance in seconds)
    - Create a snapshot of your live VM (!!!)
    - Reset your live instance to a fresh state
    - Repeat the install with your production VM and migrate/import your data as you did locally.

B) Use GeoServer and Postgresql install from apt -> manually install the core.

Again a snapshot gives you safety. Don´t miss to make use of it if you can!

    - Clone geonode-project master branch https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project
    - Follow the README to create a virtualenv which will isolate python packages from globally installed by apt
    - Enable the geoserver boilerplate settings file https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project/blob/master/project_name/local_settings.py.sample
      and add your credentials/path for PostgreSQL and geoserver.
    - Update Apache conf that it´s pointing to your new Geonode install (backup the conf file!)
    - Migrate your database as mentioned in Olivier's readme and if needed upgrade geoserver to a newer version.

C) Install geonode docker -> and migrate your apt setup

This might be the most secure solution as you can always easily uninstall docker again and restart your
stack. Be prepared that docker install might need some more knowledge regarding its configuration.

    - Backup all your data,
    - Shut down the current Postgres, Geoserver, Apache, etc setup
    - Install the docker stack
    - Migrate your data and continue using docker

Find here a good writeup where to start with docker:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S0ac9IR9IW9tUjMu7JETPLUjnfQ6P87m1PKNko8IPWY <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S0ac9IR9IW9tUjMu7JETPLUjnfQ6P87m1PKNko8IPWY>
(credits: https://geo-solutions.it)

# # # # # # # # #

>  I try once before following the instructions provided here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jNg2BKn2H9Haoyqpe7XkK_Nj-siL7PUlhP40hGi9OZ8/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jNg2BKn2H9Haoyqpe7XkK_Nj-siL7PUlhP40hGi9OZ8/edit> for Ubuntu 18.04, but I don't know if this update can be done in Ubuntu 16.04 as well.

For all options you could use Ubuntu Bionic or Xenial.
With A) and B) the install differs a bit  (different package Versions) but the migration steps are the same.

If you´re familiar with Docker and your server resources suffice I would suggest Option C.
If you new to Docker at all I would go with B)
( A) would be the last I would do )

These are all just rough ideas which might need fine tuning here and there but I hope
you get the ideas. If you need more insights don´t hesitate to ask.
And,
     ⚠️ don´t forget backups, backups, backups ;)

Best regards,

Toni