Re: [Geoprisma-dev] #9250 (Add jQuery Tools to base install) – Plone

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 11 08:40:35 EST 2009

Yves,

  If I understand well, you propose two solutions :

  a) minify extjs so that the file loaded would be shorter and faster
  b) or try to remove components currently used with extjs ( i.e. with
MapFish and/or GeoExt ) and replace them by jQuery

  Is that it ?  If so, a) could be a good short-term gain IMHO.  On the
other hand, b) could also be good as a long term solution, but I
wouldn't simply replace stuff in GeoPrisma from ExtJS to jQuery : it
would be better to have an independent library that wraps OpenLayers
with jQuery alone, pretty much like GeoExt.  That would be the best
long-term solution.  Maybe that already exists ?

  Is that what you had in mind ?

Alexandre

Yves Moisan wrote:
> Liste,
>
> Je vais en faire suer quelques-uns avec mon entêtement Plone/Python,
> mais en regardant les améliorations prévues pour Plone 4, je suis arrivé
> par hasard sur ce PLIP : http://dev.plone.org/plone/ticket/9250.
>
> Du site de jQuery Tools : "Let's face it: do you really need
> drag-and-drop, resizable windows or sortable lists in your web
> applications? Websites are not desktop applications. They are
> different ... What you really need are tabs, tooltips, accordions,
> overlays, high usability, striking visual effects ..."
>
> La taille de cette librairie : < 6 Ko.  On peut probablement extirper
> d'ExtJS bon nombre de fichiers que nous n'utilisons pas vraiment dans
> GeoPrisma, mais la version compressée/minifiée d'ExtJS fait > 500 Ko.
>
> On parle aussi dans le PLIP de jQueryUI.  Avec les contraintes qui
> apparaissent avec les mises à jour dans ExtJS (v. courriel récent sur la
> liste GeoExt), c'est peut-être quelque chose à considérer.
> Éventuellement.
>
> Yves

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears