[Geoprisma-dev] Hosting for geoprisma.org

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Wed Nov 24 10:42:48 EST 2010

Yves,

   That's sums up everything needed to do.

=== together, we could ... ===

   We (Mapgears) would be willing to setup a dev machine and try hosting
the actual Geoprisma website on it.  You would give you access to it in
order to be able to work on it as well.

   We could :
     * setup the machine
     * install geoprisma
     * install postgis to setup the demo using the PGSQLMapContextConfig
driver
     * ...

   You could :
     * convert the .bat scripts into bash for the :
       - release bundles
       - 'svn up'
       - all 'sphinx' stuff...
     * make the 'download page' work
     * refactoring of the website (optional)
     * ...

   If everything goes well, we could make the change official...  IMHO,
it's ugly an unintuitive.

   === Some comments ===

   Currently, the website is more 'dev-oriented' than 'user', which I
think is a reason why users visiting it get easily lost and don't know
where to start.  The home page could be modified to guide the users at
the principal links of the website.  That could be a part of
'refactoring the website'.

   I think that it would take much less time to simply use everything we
already have, but it would be nice to have something different for a
website... something less ugly at least :)

   Also, there are too much 'old' samples.  Plus, they don't "talk" as
the GeoExt or Ext examples do... (I'm getting off track there... sorry.)

   === Finally ===

   Do you agree ?

Alexandre

On 10-11-24 08:54 AM, Yves Moisan wrote:

>> Hi Yves,
>>
>> The best would probably be to host it on maptools. Is it mostly static
>> contents or is there some dynamic contents as well?
>>
>> Daniel
> Hi Daniel,
>
> It is an ExtJS app for the web site (served by Apache/PHP), Sphinx for
> the docs and the JS compressing utility provided by MapFish (that
> comes from Tim Schaub I believe).  There's a windows bat file to
> generate the release bundles, but that's easy to turn into a shell
> script.  The JS compressing utility can be set up relatively easily
> IIRC and Sphinx too (Python required) but refactoring the web site
> content would need a few hours (days ?).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Yves

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears