[geos-devel] Exception Issues

Martin Davis mbdavis at VividSolutions.com
Mon May 26 12:03:26 EDT 2003

Well, IMO the optimal sequence of fixes to try is:

1. Fix the compiler/linker/PostgresQL to eliminate the problem with aborting on exceptions in loaded libraries.
2. Hack GEOS to eliminate or optionalize (love that word!) the exceptions.

I'm not an expert on #1, but since there have been several people commenting on this who presumably do know what they're talking about I'm guessing that for some sad reason this is not really an option.  (Although it seems that there *is* a compiler which will remove the problem - is the problem that we can't recompile PostgresQL?)

#2 is ugly IMHO, but I guess in the absence of #1 we have no choice.  The approach of defining a new "return-value-with-exception" class seems fairly benign, in the sense that it's invertible, it's clear where it's being used, and it automatically reveals places where return code values need to be checked.  (The invertibility is important - a simplistic method of removing exceptions would be almost invisible, but would eliminae the information needed to add them back in, for other uses of GEOS or once the compiler problems are fixed).

I think it's going to have to be your final call, Dave and Paul, since you're the guys who know whether there's any option of implementing #1.

Martin Davis, Senior Technical Architect
Vivid Solutions Inc.
Suite #1A-2328 Government Street   Victoria, B.C.   V8T 5G5
Phone: (250) 385 6040    Fax: (250) 385 6046