[geos-devel] GEOS Todo

Ferdinando Villa fvilla at zoo.uvm.edu
Tue May 27 19:31:43 EDT 2003

the Boost library (www.boost.org) has a shared_ptr that sounds like a
good match for the precision model thing. The various boost smart
pointers can be taken from boost rather easily and incorporated - it's
all in template headers. It's got local and shared pointers for both
scalars and arrays, plus a zillion of other useful things.

This stuff tends to get tricky with multiple threads - are we
considering thread safety in GEOS? It's going to be important for some
applications (notably mine). Boost has good thread support.

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 19:23, Norman Vine wrote:
> This is easily worked around by having a Geomety bump the
> Precision Model Object refcnt in its constructor and decrementing
> the refcnt in its destructor
>
> Another perhaps *faster* method is to have the Precison Model
> refcnt bumped twice by the higheest level invoking function

> On Linux Valgrind is becoming the defacto standard in some camps

Valgrind is great. I also have a license for Parasoft's insure++ ($$$)
that does a few more things (when it works) including coverage analysis
that helps greatly in optimization, and precise allocation mapping. I
can run GEOS test cases through it when I'm back to the office (Jun 20)
and post the leak and coverage reports.

ferdinando

> Cheers
>
> Norman

ferdinando villa, ph.d.                    associate professor
gund institute for ecological economics, university of vermont
590 main street, burlington, vt 05405    phone: (802) 656-2972