[geos-devel] Documentation

David Blasby dblasby at refractions.net
Tue Oct 7 17:15:07 EDT 2003

Sounds like there's a bunch of changes happening to GEOS.

We really need to have some documentation on what GEOS-enabled software
is supposed to do with respect to memory management.

I mean, when I construct a Geometry out of a CoordinateList, can I
delete it when the Geometry is constructed?  Or is it autmatically
destroyed when the Geometry is destroyed.

How about functions like getCoordinate() or getCoordinates() - are these
returning copies or the actual set of coordinates?

So far I've been trying to answer these questions by reading the code
(which is cumbersome), or (worse) making test programs and seeing if
valgrind complains!

This could be simple program that would construct,use, and delete some
geometries, with comments about when you should (or should not) free memory.

dave