[geos-devel] Download links on GEOS homepage not extractable ?

David.Jacques at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca David.Jacques at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Mon Feb 28 09:09:50 EST 2005

Thanks. I guess I was following those instructions too literally. (D'owh)

 tar xvfj worked fine.

-----Original Message-----
From: geos-devel-bounces at geos.refractions.net
[mailto:geos-devel-bounces at geos.refractions.net] On Behalf Of Norman Vine
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 8:32 AM
To: GEOS Development List
Subject: RE: [geos-devel] Download links on GEOS homepage not extractable ?

David.Jacques writes:

> I've been trying to build a new Postgres/PostGIS system as per the
> Instruction on this web page
> http://postgis.refractions.net/windows/WindowsHowTo.html
> I'd like to incorporate GEOS functionality such as Within(),
> Intersects(), etc.
> However I have been unable to unzip / extract the tar.bz files in the
> links on the GEOS homepage. I get the following at the Cygwin prompt.
>
> $ bunzip2 geos-2.0.1.tar.bz2
> $ pwd
> $ /usr/src
> $ ls
>  geos-2.0.1.tar				postgresql-8.0.0cvs.tar.bz2
>  postgresql-8.0.0cvs-1-log.tar.bz2	proj-4.4.9
>  postgresql-8.0.0cvs-1.sh		proj-4.4.9.tar.gz
>  postgresql-8.0.0cvs-1.sh.log
>
> $ tar xvzf geos-2.0.1.tar
>  tar: Child returned status 1
>  tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

% tar -- help
< snip >
Archive format selection:
  -V, --label=NAME                   create archive with volume name NAME
              PATTERN                at list/extract time, a globbing
PATTERN
  -o, --old-archive, --portability   write a V7 format archive
      --posix                        write a POSIX format archive
  -j, --bzip2                        filter the archive through bzip2
  -z, --gzip, --ungzip               filter the archive through gzip
  -Z, --compress, --uncompress       filter the archive through compress
      --use-compress-program=PROG    filter through PROG (must accept -d)

HTH

Norman