[geos-devel] Buffering Multipolygons

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Tue May 17 12:36:06 EDT 2005

I think Martin Davis is off on holidays, so I will offer this tidbit - I
do recall that some JTS operations (union/intersection come to mind) do
NOT work on multi-polygons. I wouldn't be surprised if buffer was also
one of these operations.

The only convex hull algorithm I know works on a set of points, if a
similar one is used in JTS then it probably would work on any type of
shape, (even multi-*) because you would just break it down into the
constituent points.

My best bet is that you're code is right Steve - if you can buffer
regular polygons, and you can convex hull multi-polygons, then it seems
more likely to me that buffering multi's just doesn't work than it is
that there is some special case not being handled in your code :)

Chris