[geos-devel] CoordSeq ADT and fine-grained ctors for C-API (was: GEOS C API Suggestions)

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Oct 21 10:57:36 EDT 2005

About performance and isolation, do we really want
all the copies to happen ?

Consider a multipolygon construction, you'll have copies:
	- of CoordSeq objects of the shell and each hole
	  at each of the corresponding object construction/copy
	- of shell and hole geometry for each polygon
	  construction/copy
	- of each polygon geometry at collection construction
In practice it would take 3 copies of each involved CoordinateSequence.

I'm thinking about making constructors take ownership of argument,
and extractors (GetGeometryN, getExteriorRing, getCoordSeq..) return
resources owned by the argument object...

These changes would also allow changing any Ordinate value
of any Geometry ...

	GEOSGeom g1 = GEOSGetGeometryN(g, 2);
	GEOSGeom hole3 = GEOSGetInteriorRingN(g1, 3);
	GEOSCoordSeq s = GEOSGetCoordSeq(hole3);
	GEOSCoordSeq_setX(s, 4);

What do you think, is the advantage worth the danger ?

--strk;