[geos-devel] Perl bindings via SWIG

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Wed Aug 2 03:52:05 EDT 2006

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 21:34:52 -0600 Charlie Savage <cfis at savagexi.com> wrote:

> Hi Ari,
>
> Great work.
>
> One thing to take a look at is the bindings in CVS for Geos 3

ok, yes that seems reasonable, but perhaps I wait until a tarball comes out :)

> Also, for GEOS 3 the SWIG bindings are included in the build system.
> For perl to be added would require the correct automake macros, see the

I wonder if Perl requires a bit different setup since it uses Makefile.PL

> > 3. ran swig (in msys) with arguments: -c++ -perl5 -o geos_wrap.cxx
> ../geos.i
> >
> > The resulting geos_wrap.cxx had to be fixed by adding
> >
> > #ifdef select
> >   #undef select
> > #endif
> >
> > Around "Workaround perl5 global namespace..."
>
> Can you add this via %inline in perl.i?

This should be reported to the swig developers and fixed somewhere in
swig/Lib/perl5 I think. I already reported similar issues to them few months ago
but not yet this.

> Check out Geos 3, and let me know what annoying things you run into and
> I'll get the fixed.

I got into looking directly into GEOS because I'm writing a new Perl interface
to GDAL. Part of GEOS is part of GDAL's interface but there are some compromises
and/or things missing.

I've submitted an abstract for FOSS4G at Lausanne on my Perl work. Are you or
other Swig people going to attend?

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics