[geos-devel] Help cannot perform Make command with GEOS

nom i_love_mamon at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 8 02:13:51 EST 2006

Hi!

  I need to use PostGIS for a project I am working on and I read in the PostGIS guide that GEOS adds some features that I need.  I tried installing GEOS using:

  MSYS-1.0.11-2004.04.30-1.exe
  MinGW-5.1.1

  Now I currently have the shell that allows me to perform Unix commands.  I downloaded the file geos-3.0.0rc2.tar.bz2 and extracted it to my home directory in MSYS.  I follow the instructions and input ./configure in the geos directory and here is what comes out:

  $ configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
/home/Mon: /home/Mon: No such file or directory --->Why does this line come out?
configure: WARNING: `missing' script is too old or missing
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
  config.status: creating source/headers/geos/platform.h
Swig: false
Python: false
Ruby: false

  The configure.status file is made however, when I enter the command 'make' I encounter an error shown below:

   -MT Triangle.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/Triangle.Tpo -c Triangle.cpp -o Triangle.o >/dev/null 2>&1
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++  -g -O2 -DGEOS_INLINE -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wno-long-long   -o libgeom.la   Coordinate.lo CoordinateSequence.lo CoordinateArraySequence.lo CoordinateArraySequenceFactory.lo Dimension.lo Envelope.lo Geometry.lo GeometryList.lo GeometryCollection.lo GeometryComponentFilter.lo GeometryFactory.lo IntersectionMatrix.lo LinearRing.lo LineSegment.lo LineString.lo Location.lo MultiLineString.lo MultiPoint.lo MultiPolygon.lo Point.lo Polygon.lo PrecisionModel.lo Triangle.lo util/libgeomutil.la
rm -fr .libs/libgeom.lax
mkdir .libs/libgeom.lax
rm -fr .libs/libgeom.lax/libgeomutil.a
mkdir .libs/libgeom.lax/libgeomutil.a
(cd .libs/libgeom.lax/libgeomutil.a && ar x /home/Mon Ang/geos-3.0.0rc2/source/geom/util/.libs/libgeomutil.a)
C:/msys/1.0/home/Mon: No such file or directory --->Why does this line come out?
c:\mingw\bin\ar.exe: make[3]: *** [libgeom.la] Error 9
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/Mon Ang/geos-3.0.0rc2/source/geom'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/Mon Ang/geos-3.0.0rc2/source/geom'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Mon Ang/geos-3.0.0rc2/source'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Additional information would be that my directory structure is:
  C:\msys\1.0\home\Mon Ang\geos-3.0.0rc2

  I am wondering why the make does not consider my folder "Mon Ang" and only consider "Mon" resulting in the no such file or directory.  If anyone has any idea on how to help or solve this, I would greatly appreciate the help.  Thanx for your time in reading this.

  Mon Ang